Ottawa is small and part of being a small city (or big town) is that you see the same people, go to the same clubs and eat at the same restaurants. That’s why it’s always exciting to see a new spot open up. This week I discovered Simba Restaurant and Lounge on MacArthur, here is my honest review.
What I Ate
Beef brochette with a side of fried plantain and 2 Heinkein // ~ 25$
The owner is Rwandese and it shows, the food was authentic. My mom ordered Talapia and it had the spices and taste of a real east African meal. I loved my Brochette but there was only 4 pieces of beef on it which was surprising based on the price. That was disappointing.
It was noon on a Thursday and we were the only ones at the lounge, our server was attentive and entertaining. BUT the food took too long, we sat and talked for 40 plus minutes.
I support my people and I love eating east African food, Simba was good but has room to improve. One thing that shocked me was the price of water, on our final bill we were charged 2$ for a Dasani water bottle…it was shocking! The service was great and a major upside but the food prices and the wait times need to be improved.
3.1 / 5 Final review
I know y’all remember the Hooley’s review, a true classic, to make up for that f*ckery I decided to hit up an Ottawa Staple: Pub 101. We went on a Monday night to celebrate the homie’s bday and eat wings, here is my review:
What I ate
2 plates of lemon pepper , 2 plates of honey hot and 2 plates of honey garlic wings // 2 heinkein beers // 25$
Tiny tiny wings, very small but worth it. Especially the lemon pepper, y’all know my obsession, it wasn’t as salty as Hooleys. The beers were a great price ($5.21) and for the quality of wings (all you can eat for $12.50) it delivered. The food is bar level so don’t expect Milestones quality.
When we first came in, it was a busy busy nigh. Why? Because it’s $12.50 ALL YOU CAN EAT WINGS GAH DAMNNNNNN and its NHL/NBA playoffs szn. It took time to get us seated but our server was kind and patient with us, she was definitely a highlight of our experience and even cracking jokes with us. The only downside is that the spot was Understaffed which made our orders take helllllla long.
I don’t know if it’s my hatred of Hooleys or my love of cheap beer but gah damn I love Pub 101. On top of the great service we got on Wing Mondays, Pub is one of the most fun bars on Thursday nights. With 2$ shots Pub on a Thursday is so rowdy you’d think they had Horses in the back. If you can survive the homeless people begging for money in front of the bar, you’ll have a great time.
4.5 / 5 (real review)
9 / 5 (horny drunk broke University of Ottawa student going out for the second time in his life, rating)
It’s been a week since 99 Rideau stopped being 24hours, and yes it hurts my soul. The classic Ottawa spot is now a 6am to 10pm and I don’t like it. Here are 5 reasons why I will miss McDs Rideau:
- Post turn up McNuggets : All of y’all have done it: you leave the club, sweaty, ugly, horny, drink and hungry. Your wallet is telling you “NOOOO” but your body your body is telling “CHICKEN” ! You grab a 10 piece with plum and Big Mac sauce.
- Reunions: Some may argue that Zak’s is the spot but HELL NAH, Rideau McDicks was the top spot to have high school, elementary and even family reunions. I’ve seen distant cousins at Rideau McDs 2:30 am. I’ve seen high school classmates from 6 years ago. I’ve seen folks from my grade 3 catholic elementary school at Rideau McDs, you get the point.
- The crackheads: Yes I will miss the crackheads. Sadly our city has a lot of homeless shelters DT but at the same time they are the most entertaining people to watch. It’s 3am, you just smoked a blunt with a random Somali and you see some crackhead in the corner cracking jokes, that’s what life is about. If it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t have the Infamous Racoon.
- . The drunks: Deep in our soul humans are simple; we wanna fight, fuck and feast. At Rideau McDs you could do all 3 within 30 minutes (sorry ladies #QuickieGANG). Why? Because people are DRUNK as hell!
- The memories: If you ever turn up downtown especially Byward you have memories of this spot, I won’t pretend it was perfect. I won’t pretend that things will change. But I will say that Rideau McDs gave me some of the best memories of my young life and that’s what matters.
End of an Era
(guess its a Perkins flex now)
R.I.P McKie Ds
Yup you read that title, this movie was so good I had to buy tickets for next week. Yes Jordan Peele take my money, I don’t care! Here are 3 reasons I loved this move.
- Creepy as Hell: Throughout the whole movie you feel goose bumps because this movie is so damn creepy. From the opening shot of rabbits to the last shot of _____ you are Creeped tf out! I was on the bus this morning and I got terrified when I saw a kid with a mask around Blair station, keep in mind Nothing scares me. But this movie was so damn creepy…just makes your skin crawl. In my mind being Creeped out is worse than fear.
- Acting: One of my few issues with Get Out was the acting. It was good but not Great. Us takes acting to a new level! Everyone talks about Lupita’s and I agree she is in Academy Award territory but when it comes to the small subtle facial expressions of Madison Curry and Ashley McKoy (child versions of Adelaide) and Elizabeth Moth’s character during the mirror make up scene…family I was SHOOK! Whoever did the casting for this movie deserves a RAISE. PAY THE MAN (or Woman #equality).
- The Message: I won’t give you spoilers and I won’t explain to y’all the ending. I won’t explain the Rabbits, the Tunnels, the Chain of humans, the gloves, the scissors, the cloning, the Amusement park, the passage, the inequality, the colorism, the privilege, the religious elements this movie talks about, nah I won’t. But to put all these messages and symbols in a 1h 30min feature tells you how DEEP this movie is.
Have you read the title fam? Have you read anything above this sentence? Do you have 15$ and 2 hours of life? Are you dumb? Go on Cineplex.com and buy your ticket right NOW.
Final Score 4.9/5
Since nothing in this world is perfect, my only gripe with the movie is that it could have addressed more race related issues but I believe that Peele is going to tie this in with his next feature. Get Out and US are in the same universe. Can’t wait for the 3rd.
p.s. I plan to write a “Deep Dive” on this movie about the symbolism and theories I have. Stay tuned for that. Cr
I can’t speak on your experience but I can speak on mine, when I went to Hooleys last monday with my crew we had some of the WORST service of all time, keep reading for details.
What I usually eat
Two plates of Lemon pepper wings, and one honey garlic with 2 pitchers (split cost) // 35$
This is the highlight of Hooleys especially when it comes to how much you are paying, the wings are large and beautiful, 49 cent wings with a beer you’ll be full on 20$! Issa blessing, especially their LEMON PEPPER (BAE) WINGS with a side of ranch…lord have mercy!!!
ABSOLUTELY TRASH! The moment I walked in the hosts ignored me while they talked about some random annoying customer. Once I got seated with my friends they messed up 3 of our orders and put the wrong info on our receipts!!! To top that off the wait times were INSANE! After ordering 1 round of wings we had to literally scream at our Server to get her attention…TRASH TRASH SERVICE
Overall the quality of chicken and regular beer pricing saves this place but the service is a major turn off. Their servers and hosts can hold this L.
2.5/5 (real rating)
7/5 (Lemon Pepper Bae Rating)
In my eyes fast food doesn’t have to be junk food, fast food is food that you can get quick and on the go. This is why Chatime bubble tea is the best fast food joint in Downtown Ottawa and here’s why…
What I drank
Regular Signature Milk tea (6.99$)
Here is the highlight of the ting, this is high quality bubble tea NO CAP! What makes this a quality spot is the aura and vibe. With florescent lights, great chairs and tables you feel like this is high quality. The aesthetic is what stands out and of course the tea is blessed.
To be fair this is a fast food resto, I didn’t expect phenominal service, I went to the Dalhousie location which is busy as hell! The servers seemed kind but took a very very long time with my order.
If you’re busy studying, have a lunch break, wanna try a new spot go to Chatime right now, especially if you’re downtown. Forget all that McD’s and Timmies B.S. this is the place to be.
4.5/5 (real rating)
8/5 (swag Asian international student who drives a Lamborghini Gallardo at the humble age of 19, rating)
On a chill wednesday night I was in the mood for some high quality food, and guess where I went? If y’all couldn’t tell by the title Milestones on Sussex was the place to reach! Here’s my honest review of this DT (downtown) spot.
What I ate
Rustic Chicken Club (17.75$, 8$ shrimp skewer and two domestic beers 15$)
the food was fresh and when it comes to food reviews you me, you know that seafood has to be FRESH ! The plate was hot and savory, which made me enjoy this sandwich more than I expected, if I had my way I would add more sauce. Sauce is the CAUSE!!! But the quality was better than most, and I can’t deny that. Sidenote: THE SKRIMP SKEWERS ARE AMAZING SHOUTS OUT TO THE CHEFS IN THIS BIHHH! Continue reading “The best date night spot in this stupid City”